Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Out of Chaos

After TWO mostly snow days, missing half my classes, and procrastinating on reading, I haven't really learned much in the last couple of days. So, as promised in my introduction, I found where I had posted my first major learning in Seminary. This was written to friends on August 28th, 2008:

I had my first real exciting learning/ ah ha this morning! We were studying the first creation story, which I've studied many times. My professor (dean Bruce Birch) put it in the context of the Exile where it was being codified and written down for the first time. That stuff was very interesting, but what made that story go from nice to inspirational was when we talked about why this story starts from creation out of chaos! He said that you can only create from nothing once, but you can create out of chaos over and over again! It is relevant for every generation!, and it was especially relevant to the people in exile since their sense of order has been upended and their trust in the sovereignty of God is in question! This story is alive and at work and relevant not as a history but as a reassurance of God's order in the midst of life's chaos! So cool and fun.

So the learning is:
The first creation story begins with chaos to reassure and remind us all that no matter the chaos of our lives, God is always working to bring order out of chaos.

Enjoy the reassurance that with God comes order...I so needed this reminder today.

2 comments:

  1. Seminary life is often chaotic! Balancing chapel, community service, classes, paper writing, reading, internships, not to mention the RELATIONSHIPS with the dear PEOPLE around us is not easy!! I appreciated this reminder a LOT tonight, Jennifer! I really needed it b/c tomorrow I will go to 2 classes neither of which I will be fully prepared for and that is not an easy reality for me (my perfectionistic self) to sit with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but snowy days can be filled with learning too! Enjoying God's creation is a wonderful way of learning!

    ReplyDelete