Sunday, September 27, 2009

What is Salvation?

Ok, so this is now my new favorite book: A New Kind of Christian
Way to make me think!

Salvation has never made sense to me. (Maybe that's part of why I'm having such a difficult time constructing my theology of Baptism.) I've always been uncomfortable with the phrazes "born again" and "saved", and I've wanted to a laugh at the: "you can know where you're going when you die" as if we can control God or grasp the unimaginable. Most of what we think we "know" about heaven, eternal life, death, and salvation is likely just as much a parable or painting as I've come to believe the creation story is. Very helpful and valuable, but not "factually descriptive." (should I stop? I feel that this is getting into controversial territory for someone seeking ordination...oh well)

So I was shocked to read "Let's say that salvation means becoming part of the solution rather than part of the problem." Cool! again this is a painting, an image, and not a factual description that is all inclusive of what salvation means, but for me, this seems to define how I've been living into salvation my whole life! It's never been about a conversion story for me (you can read about this in an earlier post). This journey of faith is about being part of God's salvific role in the whole world!

My pastor's sermon today is on salvation (and he's read this book too), too bad I'm home sick! Sometimes they are posted on line so you can watch and wait like me :) Or just check out our new website: http://www.newleafchurch.org/web/

No comments:

Post a Comment