Monday, April 20, 2009

Me? Relate to You?

An interesting insight came to me today as three thoughts converged. I'll tell it backwards from the point of convergence. I was reading an article tonight written by a grandfather in my conference annual financial report. The article was entitled "A Story to Tell about Next Generation Leadership Development." I haven't actually read it all, but what I thought was about the need for me to be treated as an equal by people of his generation and my parent's generation. I remember at one church specifically feeling like they saw me as "their children's age" and I never felt like I could be a friend let alone an equal at the church. As I read the article I wished that someone would write about the challenges and yet necessity of this kind of relationship. And that it would need to come from someone older who kinda got it!

But then I remembered my thought from earlier today as I read Across the Generations: Incorporating All Ages in Ministry: The Why and How. When I read about the Millennial Generation the "Representative members" included Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. I balked at this! It was so weird to me to be classified with these children I remember watching on Full House, and having been past the age that saw them as icons. How would I relate to these children? How would I be able to treat them as equals? Perhaps I could write an article about this challenge and my ability to empathize with the difficulties of older generations to respect me as an equal. Perhaps we could find some common ground in our short comings and move forward together?

No comments:

Post a Comment