Saturday, April 11, 2009

Holy Saturday

Today is Holy Saturday. Yesterday I had the privilege of leading the discussion at my new church for our informal Good Friday Service. We really focused on Holy Saturday, after Jesus died, what was left. In a moment that was very special to me someone talked about death and how it seems hopeless when someone you love dies and you simply won't get a second chance until perhaps heaven, if they went there, if we'll recognize them there, and even that won't be for many years. In response I said that what we have as a church is a hope for something better, even if we can't understand what that better thing is. We point to a hope in God, in the Heavenly Banquet, in the rule of God on earth, in something even if we can't understand how it will make things better.

When I shared this with a friend he said it's kinda like a movie preview, the ones where you can't quite tell what the movie is about but you know you can't wait to see it.

When I'm in my darkest place, there is something that can't let go of that hope. I'm lucky, one of my spiritual gifts is faith. It's a good thing, and if anyone reads this and wants some of my faith just let me know and we can chat.

1 comment:

  1. I think our entire community is, and will continue to be, blessed by your faith.

    Oh, and i love the preview analogy, hope you don't mind if i steal it in about 3 hours.

    :)

    ReplyDelete