Monday, February 22, 2010

Preacher's Self Presentation

It's interesting how something that is almost tangential or not central to a conversation, a book, or a classroom lecture can take hold of the listener. I can say that many times it is the Holy Spirit.

I don't remember where it was, probably in my preaching book, but I read a reflection that has been nagging at me. I've heard so many times that the pastor should talk about their weaknesses. They should not be afraid to show how they are not perfect. That they will be humanized. I think I've heard that so much that I forget that a congregation also needs to have confidence in the guidance of the pastor. Confidence that while the pastor is human, the pastor is also striving, and somewhat successfully, after the Christian Life.

The passage in the book referred to how as preachers and pastors we should not make ourselves out to be saints, but we also cannot constantly be harping on our weaknesses too. Of course I take this new conviction of balance and am afraid of all the negatives I've been sharing with my congregation. But they are good kind people and I trust that they see the good in me even if I'm not highlighting it. I will strive in the future to find a better balance. I need to make sure I'm also showing my spiritual gifts, strengths, learnings, and passion. I think I've got the other side down pretty well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment